Markatasana is a body twisting pose. The word Markatasana is derived from Sanskrit and in English, it is known as Monkey Pose. In this pose, you have to simply lie down on the floor and twist your body. Markatasana is an excellent posture for flexibility in the spine and also benefits the organs of the digestive system. Markatasana is very effective for relaxing the body as well as the mind.
It is especially useful in back pain, spondylitis, sciatica. If it is practice on a regular basis then it is beneficial for stomach pain and dysentery. Markatasana is also the best posture for pain in the hips and joints. It is also very beneficial for diabetics.
It reduces stress and tension from your muscles. Also when you twist your body, your abdomen area gets stretched which gives a massaging effecting to the abdominal organs. Hence this process improves the blood flow in the organs of the abdomen and keeps them healthy.
Benefits Of Markatasana (Monkey Pose)
- It improves digestion and relieves constipation.
- Reduce belly fat.
- Gives a good massage to your abdominal organs which improve your blood flow to all the organs.
- Beneficial in cervical spondylosis, slip disc, and sciatica.
- Helpful for a Diabetic person.
- Regular practice of Markatasana increase the flexibility and strength of your Spine and release the tension from your back muscles.
- It is very beneficial in back pain or the pain in the joints of the hip.
- Also, reduce stress from your neck, shoulder, and legs.
- It relaxing your mind along with your body.
Steps of Markatasana (Monkey Pose)
- First, you have to lie down on your back and keep your body straight.
- Now spread both hands and bring them at your shoulder level. Ensure that your palm should remain open during the whole process.
- Fold your left leg and place the heel close to your buttock.
- After that breathe in deeply and gently move your left leg to the right. At the same time turn your neck to the left side. (Turn your head opposite to the direction of your legs).
- Breathe normally and hold the posture as long as possible.
- After that slowly come into the initial position and repeat it from another side.
Variation of Markatasana (Monkey Pose)
Variation of Markatasana
In the variation of Makatasana, you have to make small changes. all you have to do is bend your both legs together and then turn it to the right side and your head to the opposite side. Hold the position for 10-15 sec at least. Repeat it from another side.
Tips and precautions
- If a person has pain in legs and knees, do not do this asana.
- People who suffer from slip disc, back pain or any kind of injury then they should consult with there doctor or perform this asana under guidance.
- People who are suffering from hernia should practice this asana according to the instructions of the doctor.
- Keep 3-4 hours gap between your meal and practice.
- Perform each and every step gently and carefully. Don’t rush otherwise you could hurt yourself. So be careful.
- Twist your body as much as you can. Don’t force your body to get into position.