The Kapha dosha is the combination of water and earth elements, that’s why the properties of Kapha tend to be cool, moist, stable and heavy like water and earth. In Asthanga Hridayam, the property of Kapha describes as follows:
Kapha: Heavy, Slimmy, Cold, Oily, Smooth, Viscous, Immobile, Dense, Soft
Kapha controls all structure and lubrication in the mind and body. It is responsible for the formation of all the seven tissues — nutritive fluids, blood, fat, muscles, bones, marrow and reproductive tissues.
This energy is essential for the structure, physical form, and the smooth functioning of all parts of your body.
Quality and Personality
Qualities of Kapha nature people: Dense, heavy bones, lustrous, supple skin, low metabolism, and large, stocky frames. Also feeling cold but not cold as Vata nature people.
Personalities of Kapha nature people: They have a stable personality which is not prone to quick fluctuations. They can handle stress very well, often not even noticing that it exists.
Generally, they don’t like changes and would prefer to keep things just the way they are. They are also comfort seekers. However, too much comfort can lead to a lack of motivation and feeling of becoming stuck. Emotionally they are challenged by heavy emotions like depression and lethargy results.
Types of Kapha
Tarpaka Kapha: Moisturising eyes, nose, brain, and mouth.
Kledaka Kapha: Moisture of the stomach lining for good digestion.
Bhodaka Kapha: Sense of taste, which is essential for good digestion.
Avalambaka Kapha: Protects the heart, strong muscles, healthy lungs.
Shleshaka Kapha: Lubrication of the joints, soft and supple skin.
Symptoms of Kapha Imbalance
If your Kapha dosha is imbalance then you may notice these following symptoms in your body and mind :
- Lazy and lack of energy/motivation.
- Suffering from sinus problems.
- Sleep for long hours.
- Not feeling fresh after a long hour of sleep.
- Oily hair and skin.
- Over-attached and possessive.
- Feeling Uncomfortable in damp and cold weather.
- Poor sense of smell and taste.
- Respiratory problems, lower back pain.
- Poor digestion and joints pain.
- Experience water retention and bloating.
- Feeling stiff and heavy.
If you are suffering from these symptoms, then you need to balance Kapha.
Reasons for Imbalance in Kapha Dosha
Basically, a bad lifestyle and habits always causing problems in our life and body. In this case, our day to day bad habits causing an imbalance in our body( Kapha dosha) which includes:
- Eating excessive Kapha-aggravating food.
- Eating during the depression.
- Living in cool, damp climates for a long period of time.
- Lack of physical activity in daily life.
- Spending most of the time watching TV, playing video games, etc.
- Running away from intellectual challenges.
- Living in a depressed environment or feeling alone.
- Too much sleeping.
How to Balance Kapha Dosha
- Use Vata reducing product in your daily life.
- Exercise regularly, start with small exercises each day.
- Stay in Warm temperatures.
- Eat fresh vegetables and fruits.
- Favor pungent,astringent, bitter tastes.
- Include warm, light, and dry foods in your daily routine.
- Avoid oily, heavy, cold foods and sour, sweet, and salty tastes.
- Try something different and experience new things.
- Keep yourself warm in damp and cold weather.
- Sleep early and wake up early.
- In dairy, Low-fat milk is better. Drink warm milk, always boil it before you drink. Don’t drink milk with sour and salty food. Add a little amount of ginger or turmeric in milk then boiling it. This will reduce any kind of Kapha promoting qualities in the milk.
- In fruits, go for lighter fruits, like pears and apples. Avoid sour or heavy fruits, like bananas, oranges, pineapples, coconuts, dates, melons and avocados. These fruits increase Kapha.
- In sweeteners, Honey is excellent Kapha-Pacifying. However, avoid sugar products, as these increase Kapha.
- All beans are good for pacifying Kapha, except tofu.
- Avoid all nuts.
- Most of the grains are good for pacifying Kapha, like barley and millet. Also reduce wheat or rice, because they increase Kapha.
- All Spices are fine. However, reduce salt in your diet. It increases Kapha.
- In vegetables, avoid cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, and sweet potatoes. It promotes Kapha in the body.